Visa for Japan



Japan Visa Information Hotline: +971-800-032-1271 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls will be answered in English).
Inquiries about eVisa status are not accepted.

Japan eVisa Website
General Points of Applying for an eVISA
Applicants can apply for a VISA online. For tourism purpose with single entry.
It takes about 4 weeks to issue an e-visa

Online payments of the visa fees. Click here.
・Independent application for "Housewife, Mehram, Student, None" status residence visa holder. Click here.
・Group trip (School & University) Click here.
○Forms for the application: schedule of stay  English (Sample)

Eligibility to make a reservation: excludes eVisa applicants.
From 8 November 2022, prior appointment made through our online appointment booking should be required to visit the consular offices. 
Please note that walk-ins are strictly prohibited for visa application submission without a token number.

<<Appointment Booking>>

If you are boarding an aircraft arriving in Japan after midnight Japan time on April 29, valid vaccination certificate or pre-departure test is not required. (click)


1. Cases that do not require visas

●Please check here in advance which nationalities are exempted from visa requirements for ordinary passport holders whose purpose of visit is a short term stay in Japan. 
●Based on the principle of reciprocity, diplomatic and official passport holders of some countries are exempted from diplomatic and official visa requirements. Please check here in advance. 
●From July 1, 2017, visa waiver for diplomatic and official passport holders of the UAE is implemented.

2. The acceptable categories of visa applications

●Applications cannot be submitted by e-mail.
●Please send the Japanese documents to the applicant, not to the Consulate directly.
●The count of the number of days of stay for a visa is from the day following the day of arrival in Japan (Example: If you enter Japan on January 1 and leave Japan on January 16, the number of days of stay is "15 days", not "16 days".).
■Visa for short-term
A short-term visa is to stay in Japan for the purpose of sightseeing, business, visiting relatives or acquaintances, etc. 
It is not eligible to stay in Japan for more than 90 days, or to engage in activities that require income, such as operating a business or receiving remuneration.
(1) UAE nationals, UAE passport valid for 2 years
●UAE passport valid for 5 years and planning to stay for more than 30 days (English) (Arabic)
※For stays of 30 days or less, " Visa Waiver for UAE nationals is available.

※For UAE diplomatic and official passport holders, please click here.
●UAE passport valid for 2 years (English) (Arabic)
(2)Chinese Nationals (Requirements
(3)Other Nationalities (Requirements) 
(4)Multiple-entry visa for Indian nationals (Requirements
(5)When accompanied by a household employee, etc. (Requirements)

(6)School trip (Requirements) 
Indian nationals who want to apply for a single-entry visa, please refer to (3) above.
※If you have a passport other than a ordinary passport (refugee passport, travel document, etc.), please send us a copy of the cover page of your passport, the page with your photo (page with personal details), and the page with the UAE Residence Visa affixed by e-mail before you visit the Consulate to apply.
■For the purpose of employment or long-term stay
●When applying for a visa for the purpose of employment or residence in Japan, the proxy in Japan must obtain a "Certificate of Eligibility" in advance, and the visa applicant must submit the original of the Certificate at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General in order to apply for the visa.
●For details on how to obtain a Certificate of Eligibility, the proxy should consult with the nearest Immigration Services Agency’s Office of the Ministry of Justice (※Applications cannot be submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs ).
▶ How to apply for a work visa or a long-term stay visa (English)
New handling regarding the period of validity of the certificate of eligibility
▶ Living and Working Guidebook for Foreign Nationals Living in Japan (Ministry of Justice website)

3. Forms for the application

(1) Application form for visa (Applicant's Original Signature is required)  English   (Sample English)

(2) Application form for visa waiver (Applicant's Original Signature is required)  For UAE nationals    ※photo is not required

(3) Itinerary in Japan form  Japanese   English  ( Sample )

(4) Letter of reason for invitation   Japanese   English

(5) Letter of guarantee   Japanese    English

(6) List of visa applicants form   Japanese   English  (When there are two or more applicants)

(7) Form of Overview of the Company/Organization   Japanese   English

(8) Multiple visa request letter   for UAE nationals     Other nationals

4. Who are eligible to apply for visa at our consulate?

The Consulate General of Japan in Dubai is authorized to issue a visa to following nationals and residents.

(1) UAE nationals and other nationals with residential status in the emirates of Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah.
※ Those applicants who reside in the emirates of Abu Dhabi (including Al Ain) must apply for a visa at the Embassy of Japan in the United Arab Emirates in Abu Dhabi.

(2) Residents (including its citizen and foreigner) of Afghanistan, Syria, Yemen and Sudan.


5. General information

28th Floor, Dubai World Trade Center, Sheikh Rashid Tower  【MAP

■Opening Hours
Visa application: 8:00-12:00 (MON-THU), 8:00-11:00 (FRI) (During Ramadan: 8:00-11:00)
Visa collection: 12:00-15:00 (MON-THU) (During Ramadan: 11:00-13:00)
※No Visa collection on Friday, in principle.
■Visa process
At least 1 week or more.
※Kindly apply at your earliest convenience
■Visa fees
Visa Fees for 2023
Fees must be paid in cash on collection day. We do not accept cheque or credit/debit cards.

6. Criteria of visa issuance

A Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant when he/she meets all of the following requirements and if the issuance is considered to be appropriate.  

(1) The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled to the re-entry to a country of his/her nationality or a country of his/her residence.
(2) UAE residence visa must be valid upon returning from Japan.
(3) All submitted documents are authentic, completed and satisfactory.
(4) The applicant do not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Immigration Control Act.
(5) The activities to be engaged in Japan/ the civil status or the position of the applicant/ the period of stay meet the requirements for the status of residence and the period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act.
(Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. Hereinafter referred to as the "Immigration Control Act")


7. Transfer of valid visa to a new passport

When you get a new passport issued due to the following reasons, you can transfer your valid Multiple-entry & Single Temporary Visitor visa from an old passport to a new one.
(1) A passport has been expired or renewed
(2) A passport has been damaged or stained
(3) There is no sufficient pages

Procedure of visa transfer 【English】

※In case of having a passport lost or stolen passport, you are required to apply for a new visa.

8. Inquiries

Please look at the “Frequent Asked Questions” before contacting us.
(Note) We cannot give you the specific reason of the visa rejection.

 Japan Visa Information Hotline: +971-800-032-1271 (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Calls will be answered in English).

9. Japanese immigration information

(1) Loss of a residence card (Zairyu card)
Please contact to Japanese immigration information center.
Japanese Consulate is not authorised to handle such matter regarding immigration.

■Immigration Information Center
Tel: +81-3-5796-7112 (International call)
Weekdays (Mon-Fri) between 8:30 to 17:15

List of regional information centers in Japan

(2) Extension of the period of validity of the re-entry permit (Not applicable for special re-entry permit system)
If a foreign national who departs Japan after acquiring a re-entry permit and is unable to return to Japan due to unavoidable reason can apply, even after the period of validity of the re-entry permit expires, for an extension of the re-entry permit's period of validity at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General.
※ The period of stay cannot be extended at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General

(3) Foreign national coexistence policies (English) (Japanese)


! IMPORTANT NOTICE ! for Residence card, Re-Entry permission, Certificate of Eligibility.

Holding VALID Residence card (ZAIRYU-Card) and Re-entry permit

 From September 7th 2022, all travelers who can present a valid vaccination certificate showing they’ve received 3 doses of a COVID‑19 vaccine will not be required to present a PCR test negative certificate.
 If not applicable, a negative COVID-19 test result conducted within 72 hours of your departure time is required.
Immigration Service Agency of Japan 
Valid Format of “Certificate of Negative Test Result”


Holding EXPIRED Residence card or obtained Re-Entry permission or Special re-entry permission

(1) Foreign national residents who departed from Japan with「Re-Entry permission」or 「Special Re-Entry permission」, and expired Residence card (ZAIRYU-Card), please contact Immigration Service Agent of Japan directly whether you can return Japan with them.

■Immigration Information Center
Tel: +81-3-5796-7112 (International call)

(2) Foreign national resident departed from Japan with「Re-Entry Permission」and had expired its validity, under certain circumstances, application for extension of validity may be accepted at the Consulate. Please send us the following documents by email for clarification.
*「Special Re-entry permission」cannot apply for extension.
    - Passport
    - Re-Entry Permission page
    - Residence card (ZAIRYU-Card)(Front & back)
(3) Foreign national resident departed from Japan before 29th April 2020 with「Re-Entry Permission」or「Special Re-entry permission」which had expired, however, if you are holding Residence card (ZAIRYU-Card) with one of the following resident status「Permanent Resident」,「Designated Activity (Non-Notified) 」,「Long-Term Resident (Non-Notified) 」, you can apply exceptionally for Japan visa for returning to Japan, despite of expiration of Re-Entry/Special Re-entry permission validity.
(*Applicable for 6months after the Japanese restriction is lifted )
Please send the following documents by email for application.
  • Passport
  • UAE residence Visa
  • Residence card (ZAIRYU-Card) (Front & back)
  • Special Re-entry stamped ED card (Front & back)
  • Japan visa application form (PDF)