Japan Visa Information HotlineIf you have any general questions regarding Japanese visas, you can call the JAPAN VISA INFORMATION HOTLINE (from UAE 24 hours, English only).
* The Hotline is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
* This Hotline is designated for visa applicants residing in UAE.
* If you are calling from UAE, you will be charged a domestic call fee for your call.
* This Hotline will only provide general information regarding Japanese visas.
* The Hotline will not connect you to the Embassy / Consulate's Visa Section .
If you need to contact the Consulate in regards to a pending visa application, please contact the Consulate directly at email@example.com or Tel (+971-4-293-8888(08:00－16:00 (Closed at 14:00 during Ramadan)) during office hours.
*The Japan visa hotline will be temporarily unavailable starting from 16:00pm on December 31, 2019 until 04:00am on January 2, 2020.
Dear travelers to Japan
It is recommended to take out an overseas travel insurance
1. Visa Waiver for UAE nationals based on Passport-Registration Systemأعلنت حكومة دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة أن مواطني دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة يجب أن يكون لديهم جواز سفر صلاحيته لمدة ستة أشهر على الأقل للمغادرة من الإمارات
تأشيرة الاعفاء لمواطني دولة الإمارات العربية المتحدة على أساس تسجيل جواز السفر - صلاحية 3 سنوات أو انتهاء جواز السفر أيهما يأتي أولا / مدة الإقامة القصوى 30 يوما المواطنين الذين يحملون جوازات السفر صلاحية 5 سنوات العادية التي تم تسجيلها في البعثات الدبلوماسية لليابان (السفارات والقنصليات العامة أو المكاتب القنصلية معفاه من الحصول علي تاشيره مقدما اذا كان الغرض من زياره اليابان هو اقامة قصيره الاجل (مشاهده معالم المدينه - زياره الاقرب اوالاصدقاء- الخ...)
في حاجة انتهى جواز سفرك خلال 3 سنوات من التسجيل ، تنتهي صلاحية التسجيل أيضًا و تحتاج إلى تسجيل جواز سفرك الجديد مرة أخرى
～ UAE government has announced that UAE nationals must have a passport that is valid for at least six months to exit the UAE ～
※ This registration system is NOT an online registration, Registration is available only at the diplomatic missions of Japan.
※ Please do NOT travel to Japan without prior “Passport registration”.
※ Visa waiver is NOT applicable for “2 years validity UAE passport holders”.
UAE nationals possessing “5 years validity ordinary passports which have been registered to the diplomatic missions of Japan (embassies, consulates-general or consular offices)” are exempted from obtaining a visa in advance if the purpose of visit of Japan is short-term stay (for sightseeing, visit to relatives/friends, etc.).
(1) Application form for Passport Registration (Applicant's Original Signature is required) Application form (PDF) ※photo is not required
(2) UAE passport and passport copy
Registration process : 2 working day (next working day)
Validity : 3 years or expiration date of passport, whichever comes first
Duration of each stay : Maximum 30 days
Fee : Free
Registration and Collection by proxy (driver, secretary etc.) is applicable.
○ If your visit is more than 30 days, you are required to obtain our visa (“4. Visa requirements for short-term stay”).
○ It is NOT allowed to perform any activities to undertake revenue-generating business operations or any activities to receive remuneration.
○ When your passport expired in 3 years from the date of your registration, your registration also expired. You need to register your new passport again.
○ You can register your passport at any Japanese embassies or consulates around the world. (Regardless of residency in the country)
2. Visa exemption for ordinary passport holders (Short-term stay)Japan has taken measures concerning the Visa Exemption Arrangements.
Please check the list to see if you need a visa or not to travel to Japan.
Japan, on reciprocal basis, has taken measures on the Visa Exemption Arrangements for some Diplomatic and Official passport holders.
If you have holding a diplomatic or official passport, please check this list.
(Note) Mutual visa exemption for UAE diplomatic and official/special passport holders has started from 1st July, 2017.
3. Who are eligible to apply for visa at our consulate?The Consulate General of Japan in Dubai is authorized to issue a visa to following nationals and residents.
1. UAE nationals and other nationals with residential status in the emirates of Dubai, Sharjah, Ajman, Umm Al Quwain, Ras Al Khaimah
※ Those applicants who reside in the emirates of Abu Dhabi (including Al Ain) must apply for a visa at the Embassy of Japan in the United Arab Emirates in Abu Dhabi.
2. Residents of Afghanistan, Syria and Yemen (Non UAE residence visa holders)
※ As of August 20, 2019, The Embassy of Japan in Iraq and the Consular Office in Erbil issue all categories of Japanese visa. All applications should be submitted through the accredited travel agencies in Iraq.
4. Visa requirements for short-term stay【What is “short-term stay”?】
“Short-term Stay (Temporary Visit)” is for staying in Japan up to 90 days such purposes as “tourism”, “short-term business affairs” and “visiting relatives/acquaintances (friends)”.
It is NOT allowed to stay in Japan more than 90 days or perform any activities to undertake revenue-generating business operations or any activities to receive remuneration.
【Example of short-term stay】
●“Short-term Business Affairs”
-Participation in meetings, cultural exchange, exchange between municipalities, sports exchange, Business liaison, business consultations,
contract signing, after-sales service, advertising, market research, etc
-Visiting relatives (a spouse, blood-relatives and relatives by affinity of up to the third degree) or acquaintances (friends)
● Visa application by Email or Fax is NOT acceptable.
● Please be sure to send original documents of inviter/ guarantor in japan to a visa applicant, NOT to the Consulate-General of Japan in Dubai.
● Your validity of stay will be counted from the following day that you arrive in Japan.
Example: 1st JAN to 16th JAN counted as 15 days (NOT 16 days).
a. 5 years validity UAE passport holders Arabic English Japanese
(Note) Visa Waiver for UAE nationals (5 years validity UAE e-passport holders and period of stay is within 30 days only) has started.
b. 2 years validity UAE passport holders Arabic English Japanese
-For single entry visa, please check (3) other nationalities.
※For Refugee passport holders and Travel document holders, please send a copy of your passport cover, biometric page and UAE residence visa page by e-mail before applying.
5. Forms for the application(1) Application form for visa (Applicant's Original Signature is required) English (Sample English)
(2) Application form for visa waiver (Applicant's Original Signature is required) For UAE nationals ※photo is not required
(3) Schedule of stay Japanese English (Sample of schedule of stay Japanese English)
(4) Letter of reason for invitation Japanese English
(5) Letter of guarantee Japanese English
(6) List of visa applicants form Japanese English (When there are two or more applicants)
(7) Form of Overview of the Company/Organization Japanese English
(8) Multiple Visa request letter for UAE nationals Other nationals
6. Visa for working and long-term staysWhen an application for a visa is made for the purpose of employment, residency, etc. in Japan, it is necessary for a proxy in Japan to obtain the Certificate of Eligibility and for the visa applicant to file a visa application to the Japanese Embassy/Consulate-general by submitting the original copy of the Certificate of Eligibility.
In order to obtain the Certificate of Eligibility, a proxy in Japan should make an application with the nearest Regional Immigration Bureau of the Ministry of Justice to the proxy's place of residence in Japan (an application for Certificate of Eligibility cannot be made at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs).
(1)Process of Working and long-term Stays Visa 【English】【Japanese】
(2)A Daily Life Support Portal for Foreign Nationals in JAPAN (The Ministry of Justice)
The Ministry of Justice in Japan has opened a Daily Life Support Portal for Foreign Nationals on their website.
The website is available in English and Japanese.You can also download the Guidebook to Daily Life and Work there too.
7. General informationLocation: 28th Floor, Dubai World Trade Center 【MAP】
Opening Hours: Visa application: 9:00-12:30 (SUN-THU) (During Ramadan: 9:00-12:00)
Visa collection: 12:30-14:30 (SUN-THU) (During Ramadan: 12:00-13:30)
※ No appointment is required.
Visa process: About 4 working days (including the day of application)
※(For Chinese nationals, 2 years UAE passport holders and Travel document holders, it may take longer)
※Kindly apply at your earliest convenience
Visa fees: Visa Fees for 2019
Fees must be paid in cash on collection day. We do not accept cheque or credit/debit cards.
8. Criteria of visa issuanceA Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant when he/she meets all of the following requirements and if the issuance is considered to be appropriate.
● The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled to the re-entry to a country of his/her nationality or a country of his/her residence.
● All submitted documents are authentic, completed and satisfactory.
● The applicant do not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Immigration Control Act.
● The activities to be engaged in Japan/ the civil status or the position of the applicant/ the period of stay meet the requirements for the status of residence and the period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act.
(Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. Hereinafter referred to as the "Immigration Control Act")
9. Transfer of valid visa to a new passportWhen you get a new passport issued due to the following reasons, you can transfer your valid Multiple-entry & Single Temporary Visitor visa from an old passport to a new one.
・A passport has been expired or renewed
・A passport has been damaged or stained
・There is no sufficient pages
Procedure of visa transfer 【English】
※In case of having a passport lost or stolen passport, you are required to apply for a new visa.
10.Contact to consular sectionPlease look at the “Frequent Asked Questions” before contacting us.
(Note) We cannot give you the specific reason of the visa rejection.
T E L： +971-4-2938888 (08:00－16:00 (Closed at 14:00 during Ramadan))
F A X： +971-4-3319292
11. Japanese immigration information■Loss of a residence card (Zairyu card)
Please contact to Japanese immigration information center.
Japanese Consulate is not authorised to handle such matter regarding immigration.
Immigration Information Center
・+81-3-5796-7112 (International call)
・Weekdays (Mon-Fri) between 8:30 to 17:15
・List of regional information centers in Japan
■Extension of the period of validity of the re-entry permit (Not applicable for special re-entry permit system)
If a foreign national who departs Japan after acquiring a re-entry permit and is unable to return to Japan due to unavoidable reason can apply, even after the period of validity of the re-entry permit expires, for an extension of the re-entry permit's period of validity at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General.
※ The period of stay cannot be extended at the Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General